Saturday, January 28, 2006

Back to school...


Kids start school tomorrow for 6 weeks before the Commonwealth Games. In a way, I'm a little anxious.... I'm hoping that this year will be the time I make my sea change.

I'm a reverse mum. Most women start working when their babies are going back to school. I have no insecurities about my babies and find that there is too much fuss about the need for bonding at an early age. It's funny and I can't tell you why but they KNEW I was their mum and I was theirs right from the word go. Sure, you don't get it right all the time but I always had my eye on them and yet distant as well. I'm not in the least bit maternal (not touchy-feely) if compared to my peers. In fact, some might think me harsh but we have always taught our 2 that this is our life together, so let's get on with it.
I went back to working fulltime when my babies were young. I owe all to my mum and sisters who thankfully are likeminded and helped me out then. When my babies started creche, we had them at a centre close to my work. Every morning, they would travel with mum and dad to work and they went to 'school'. This centre was only 5 mins from my place of work and near medical centres .... I could zip over in a blink if anything was wrong. I wouldn't be in my right mind anyway rushing in peak traffic if they were at a creche near home - worrying about them and fuming at the traffic!

I figured that as babies and young children, the needs of my littlelies were simple. Eat, sleep, bathe, ABCs, nursery rhymes,... Again, so thankful that they were good bubs too. Starting sleeping thru the nite around 5 to 6 weeks. I could have set a clock to DS - he was on time for just about everything.... fell asleep by himself for his bedtimes, whinged only every 4 hrs for his feed and heck, he even arrived smack on his due date. DD was almost the same except that she would pout and cry more... part of being a girl, I guess. DH and I tease her alot too..

2 years ago, I realised that I needed to make that step that I had anticipated all this time. My babies are fast becoming impressionable teenagers. We joke and talk alot about all sorts of things and I do feel I need to be there if they need help with schoolwork as it's getting harder now and a sounding board for the social situations/difficulties that they encounter. We often talk about life. I'm glad that they are willing to chat with mum... no matter how daggy or goofy they think I am!

So where does this leave me now?.... the decision to leave my highpowered (haha!) job to be fulltime chaffeur, tutor and task master....
(and hopefully fulltime designing knitwear as well! much to the dismay of DH as he knows what I'm leaving behind and it's a real tough competitive world in craft and fashion... I must have some fun!)
There is still a large part of me that wants to try juggling everything....but age and health are against me. Am constantly reminded that I'm not Supergirl but I revel being immersed in activity. Could I ever sit back and take it easy? I think not...

Not wanting this to be a non-knitting related post, here's a pic of my first attempt at a sock which I started while watching the Aust Open 2006 tennis. Small enough not to jab myself and the people sitting on either side of me, Am also glad I learned the magic loop technique for this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found that as my children got older (they are all off to college now)they needed me more. And once they were in high school and driving and having their own lives, I needed to be able to be there at the drop of a hat, when THEY decided they wanted to talk, as it may be a long time until they wanted to talk again.