Monday, October 22, 2007

An Opportunity to Get More Done




DS went for his first East Region Athletics Shield Meet last Saturday. Curious to see what it was like, DH volunteered as a track judge while I found some shade and worked away on the Brea Bag. Cool breezes and a very sunny day, the red yarn almost burnt my retinas!

I hate sewing up and finishing off. Partly because the euphoria of knitting a new project is over and that it just takes me so long to do it!


While gazing at the runners waiting to be called, I looked at DH’s track spikes and it made me think of his first baby shoes.
I had bought these baby Ladybirds a few years before I was married. Just saw them and thought they looked too gorgeous to pass up. It didn’t occur to me that if my firstborn was a boy, red shoes was not a good look! There was a navy pair but the red patent part got me.

I wouldn’t say DS’s a late bloomer but while I marveled at all his precocious peers getting involved in playing instruments, sports, singing and dancing while as tiny tots, DS was not into The Wiggles, Barney, Hi-5 and the singing/dancing parts of Sesame Street. (It’s the same with DD but a slightly different story there).
Here was Mum dancing and singing with the shows and little DS and DD looking at her, thinking “What on EARTH is this MAD WOMAN doing??”
We coerced him into playing the piano and swimming and for a time, he did it just because it was just another activity.
Then something happened in his second last year of primary school. He was promoted to squad training for swimming. Let me tell you, this is gruelling stuff! I felt tired just watching these little guys do dozens of laps. After 3 years of training, it was just too much to keep up with the training and school. He was only just at the state qualifying time for his age group and would need more training to improve. His secondary school inadvertently introduced him to running and with that, ‘Sleeping Beauty’ woke up.
He has changed schools but his interest in running has stayed him. The new school has no compulsory sport program so we enrolled him in our local Aths club.
And this are his track spikes (which is one of 4 pairs of running shoes and he wants another! - a pair of racing flats)…..

Oh yes... and another thing...It's more COOL to play the guitar than it is to play the piano, Mum!
He switched to classical guitar :)

1 comment:

celia said...

What gorgeous red shoes. They remind me of teh wizard of oz!