Thursday, May 17, 2007

The US Capitol Building - 12th Jan 2007

Here is the Capitol building.
The architecture, design and detail is just magnificent as we were shown via the in-house tour. It was a short one and we were left to wander to the meeting chambers of the House of Reps and Senate. So much history happened in the rooms and corridors - one can't help but be overwhelmed.







As we were leaving the lower ground rotunda area, we were rushing to make it to the National Archives before 4pm when disaster struck.
Just on the last few dark steps before the external doors, I missed a step. Felt my right foot twist inwards and the pain shot up the front of my foot towards my shin. I knew I was in trouble- it was excruciating and I had to lie down on the floor. I lifted my leg up and all that was rushing thru my head was that we had an early flight out of DC tomorrow and I swore when the twist happened! Had anyone heard me swear?
DH and a policewoman (where did she come from?) kept asking me where it hurt as everyone thought I had fallen and hit my head. Kept asking for my name and if I knew where I was. Then 4 very capable men came running down the stairs - the Attending Physician and 3 paramedics. eeek.
A wheelchair appeared. They helped me into it but the pain made me nauseous and I almost passed out. By now I was struggling to compose myself with the pain from the foot and pain of embarassment. Was wheeled to the Office of the Attending Physician with the Whole Entourage. eeek.
Dr Gutierrez was so very nice and good looking but I almost wanted to punch him when he pressed and probed my ankle and foot area. The front was quite swollen and I was going to pass out again. Everything seemed to point to an ankle injury.
Then he kept asking about why I was passing out......
(ok so i don't cope very well with pain but hey, I did have 2 babies the usual way. Didn't pass out then - DH would attest to that. Was conscious enough to tell him it was all his fault :) )
RIght... no broken bones. Looks like a very bad sprain but we could go to the George Washington Hospital to double check.
He gave me some Tylenol and taped an ice pack around the swelling. Lots of rest, foot elevated (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation???)).
They arranged for a taxi to pick us up just outside the building and it was starting to rain. They didn't have any crutches they cld loan me ( apparently they were all out?!)
At the time, I had thought it was a pretty bad sprain and chose not to go to the hospital. I cld hobble with our 2 umbrellas and my good left leg. (I know now that I tore something at the front of the foot where it joins the leg. Still aches and my niece and nephews reckon I should have an MRI for soft tissue injury as my scan and xrays were negative for broken bones etc.)
DH was chuckling away saying NOW we'd never forget DC for sure, DS was sweet and got me lots of ice from the ice machine and DD just smiled as she helped with opening doors for me - she never experienced something like this before....hee hee hee!



No comments: