Sunday, May 28, 2006

My Bonsai Dream...OT knitting

A break from posting knitting updates....
What you are looking at a Bonsai attempt of a Zelkova Serrata in a broom style.
Ah yes, these things never turn out like the nice photographs in the Bonsai coffee table books...sigh!

Was talking to a old classmate (KW - a renewed acquaintance after 30 years) and we are both fledging bonsai amateurs. Or at least I am!
Having been fascinated and inspired by pics like the one below, I just had to try it... ..







Just look at the real thing! Isn't it beautiful?


















Admittedly, my Zelkova Serrata is only in it's second winter after the 'broom cut' so I do have a long way to go with establishing its branch network. In total, it is only ten years old.
I do have another Zelkova in training just in case I lose this one (heaven forbid!)
and these are my other babies (maples and liquid amber) - only about 3 yrs old?














I may try a minature azalea or camelia this spring again if I see any promising stock. I have not had much luck with the flowering kind and lost quite a few general BITs (bonsai-in-training) to our scorching summer days.
Now back to knitting!